Friday, September 17, 2010

We're like Animals, We play pretend.

So guess who's back in the damn saddle? You're looking at him.

This blog has always been centric to my struggles surrounding school and specifically the life I lead in Toronto. There's lots that goes on in my hometown that simply never makes it online. I've been busy working my ass off (6 days a week) for the entirety of the summer, and juggling the social life I'm known for...albeit poorly.

Sadly - Skating has fallen by the wayside, parkour even more so. It's not something I took time in the day to do. I still had a tendency to vault railings, or to skate to and from a bus, but I'd be selling myself short if I thought that cut it.

Women came and went. Again. Where's that stability we all strive for? Hell if I know.

But work was getting to me, grinding on me. It's okay, I had some bills to pay and I pushed through it, payed off all the school debt and what not.

One day the boss walked in and said "So when's your last day?", Despite the fact that we'd discussed that my attempts to get into university in British Columbia had fallen short. It seems he'd forgotten. I could tell it would be a struggle for him to keep me on the schedule in any significant way. He asked me what my plans were for September, and to let him know what I was doing.

I walked into his office a moment later and told him I was done. Book me to the end of the month and I'm out of here.

I had a week off, maybe two. My grandfather passed and I went north to spend time with family. I was a pallbearer in his funeral, I miss his smile and his presence heavily.

I decided on a whim to try and get some night classes in at U of T. Phoned the school and quickly discovered there was no "night school" program. I had to enroll like everyone else, and guess what champ? The last day of enrollment is tomorrow, so move your ass.

And move my ass I did. Enrolling and getting into classes that I had absolutely no right slipping into. People had been signed up for courses for a month, how I got into them overnight...I'll never know.

Now I have a minor in film (of sorts) taking my academic life by storm. I chose not to try and get another apartment. There was too much stress and money involved with it, and in many ways I did it before to run away. I think that's the first I've admitted it to myself actually...I moved so that I could run. I had some hurt that was a little too close to home, and I couldn't stand the proximity.

That comes and goes I suppose. I have a new tool of escape. I bought a car. Just a domestic four-banger, but it gets me where I need to be. Sometimes that's just anywhere but where I am.

I'm conflicted now. I really want to get in my car and go very very far away. But I'm not sure it's healthy.

Up to my neck again...Never seems to take TOO long to get here does it?

A friend of mine said "It's only up from here"...maybe they're right. Could do.

Here's my shameless unrelated plug, the other creative endeavor that's been eating my time is called Stealth Geek Unlimited. It's a podcast I throw together with my brother and a friend, give us a listen at;
www.StealthGeekUnlimited.com

Faithful few, who the hell are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment